20.8.11

UNIVERSITY: TAILORING TECHNIQUES "CO-HABITATION"

For the final module of my second year on a BA (Hons) Fashion Design degree I was set two separate briefs. The first part involved producing half a tailored jacket and to understand the multiple processes of its creation.
Now, I know what you’re thinking ‘half’ a jacket? And yes… half! My lectures included how to craft a particular sleeve cuff or collar stand and at the end of demonstrations I was almost always told, “Oh, only you wouldn’t really be doing this if you were to make a full jacket”.
So to me the torture of making this pristine tailored half jacket was, to be honest, pretty pointless. Never the less, I remain super duper proud of my efforts and so chuffed with the end result. What do you reckon? Think half jackets will catch on? 
The second brief was focused around styling and trend forecast, we were asked to develop a package that would be suitable for trend forecasting site WGSN. Within this package we needed to include a trend book, a forecast in the form of a photo shoot or series of illustrations and also a journal to support the research.
RESEARCH

I decided to look into global population growth and also into contain-ability, this lead to co-habitation and the utilising of space. The development of this concept was mainly down to a trip to The Design Museum, London. Such an inspiring and innovative exhibition that I couldn’t help but look further into practicality; how we present, store and utilise space. 

I wanted to look at clothing and fashion in the same way, so I stripped down garments to the bare essentials and used whimsical graphic tee’s to say the rest. A lot of photography and other fashion editorial imagery lent themselves to these ideas and with those I came up with visuals for my own shoot, altering clothes so that they became transparent in places. Mirroring what it is to live with someone and having to share space and an existence. I made clothing appear vulnerable by cutting away the main body of tailored jackets, leaving behind the framework, letting the mind fill in the blanks. I made sure that the concept ran through the photographic style, creating compositions that seemed to encourage empty space, but not comfortable room for it occupants. Arched backs, tilted heads and braided hairstyles between two models creating that sense of adaptation.


RESEARCH IMAGES SOURCES
2011 Annual Underwater Photography Contest: Winner- Tobias Friedrich of Germany.
The National Geographic
Disney Tron Legacy

SHOOT
So here's my finished photo shoot, as usual concept, styling and post production by me; set out in a WONDERLAND magazine layout. Hope you like it!?   
CREDIT:
Photographer: Talia White
Models: Ashleigh Holder & Eliza Jade
MuA: Alexandra Dyson
Hair: Josie Scott

4 comments:

  1. Not sure how I came upon your blog, but just wanted to let you know that I think its wonderful! So inspiring and creative, really enjoyed having a nose around! I'm following now, so look forward to many posts more. :)

    S

    P.S. As much as LOVE the half jacket, I can't say I'm sure it will catch on lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too stumbled upon your blog and now adore it,
    will be checking back soon,

    New Follower!

    We cordially invite you to visit the UnderCoverStyleLover blog for all things celebrity fashion and quick fashion tips and tricks, hope to see you there.


    http://undercoverstylelover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That (half!) jacket's amazing, you must be so proud! Wish I had the talent to do something so creative like that :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure the half a jacket trend will catch on but yours looks amazing! You should be very proud x

    ReplyDelete